Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Fried and Fired

So.

I've had plenty of crap jobs in my 22 years of employment --- many of them involved nametags and food preparation. All of them inspired me to go to college. But I still admire those who slug it out everyday in jobs I escaped through higher education. Once, the Chuck E. Cheese I worked at in North Dallas got robbed on a Sunday night. I had the night off then. But I remember as a 17-year-old that I wished I'd been there. That way, I could have played a starring role in the Sunday-night heist --- John, the innocent victim with a bad haircut. Death didn't concern me much at age 17. But I'm sure it wouldn't think it was so cool now that I'm 37.


Take this cat who's a manager of Long John Silver's in Richardson, Texas. This guy makes sure the fine people of this North Dallas burb get their high fatty food dosage for an incredible run of ten years. He's got six kids. And a couple of weeks ago, a couple of robbers hide out in the store until closing time. Then they jack the place. They order the employees on the floor and take the manager to the back of the store at gunpoint. The guy has been robbed before and fears for his life. He sees a hammer, grabs it, and whacks one of the robbers on the noggin. The criminals flee, dropping a bag of cash in the process. So you'd think this store supervisor would be promoted to district manager by the appreciative heads of Long John's. Nope. He gets canned for violating corporate policy --- at Long John's you're supposed to submit to the demands of robbers, lest anybody get hurt.

Well kids, it seems to me that when it comes to a money or your life situation, corporate policy should go out the window. It becomes your choice --- nobody should dictate how you should act in such a charged situation where instinct is the order of the day and calm, collected decision making is impossible.

He'll probably sue Long John's and get a well deserved amount of back pay. It's doubtful that a Dallas County jury would see it Long John's way.

I'm sure in the end that this guy will get plenty of job offers. Hell, I'd hire the guy if I owned a fast food joint.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home