Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Attractive


Why is beauty so subjective? Why is it that women the rest of the universe holds up as the standard bearer for attractiveness I find absolutely foul? For example, most people go apeshit over Jessica Simpson. And I can't figure it out. She looks so much what every other woman strives for --- slim, blonde, sparkley --- that she's almost characterless to me (granted, being incredibly stupid will taint the whole deal for me, no matter what a woman looks like.)

So what do I find attractive in a woman from just a physical standpoint? I don't know. Fat, skinny, straight teeth, crooked teeth, short, tall, blonde, red head --- all can be attractive to me. I know it when I see it. Take this photo I've posted of Janet Weiss, the drummer for the super loud Washington punk band Sleater-Kinney. Janet will never make the cover of Cosmo. She's got a homemade haircut, her teeth aren't perfect and the laugh lines are starting to show. But I'd turn around to look at Janet twice were I to happen upon her on the street. She's distinctive looking and resembles no one else I know. And I guess that's what I find attractive.

My wife certainly qualifies --- nobody else I know looks like her, even though occasionally people say Susan Sarandon. But I think that's just an easy way to compliment her, because I think she's pretty in her own right. It doesn't hurt that she's smart as hell, but that's beside the point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home