Sunday, May 07, 2006

Dreams of Friends Past


Last night, I dreamt that I was driving my old 1987 Mustang GT. Of all 11 Mustangs I've owned, it was probably my favorite for one reason --- longevity. I drove it for over nine years and put nearly 200,000 miles on it. It took me to Colorado and back at least 25 times ---- a nice 2,000 mile round trip for each journey. And because it had a gas saving five-speed transmission and I resisted putting all kinds of boy racer speed equipment on it, it could make the Dallas to Denver trip on an amazing two tanks of gas. The white paint still shined, the interior was comfortable and clean, and the car rarely needed repairs, only routine maintenance.

I'd still be driving that car if it weren't for a few inconveniences. The worst thing about driving that car --- especially across country --- was that it had no cruise control. By the time I crossed the Texas border, my left foot was always worn out. Then there was the fact that the car had a habit of conking out when I drove it in the mountains. Its computer just couldn't adjust to altitudes about 9,000 feet, which was a real problem for someone who likes to hike and ski in the Rockies. But really, I could deal with those things. However, I finally decided that driving a car that didn't come with airbags or anti-lock brakes was just stupid. I liked the car. But I loved breathing more.

So now I just drive my shiny white 1987 Mustang in my dreams.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home