Wednesday, July 05, 2006


There's a pretty decent 15th anniversary piece on Salon.com about the movie "Slacker" which was shot in Austin during the summer of 1989. That was the summer before I graduated from UT. I hung around Austin for about a year and half after graduation. I wasn't the only one, which is pretty much was the movie is all about.

I've mentioned this before, but part of the movie was shot in my buddy Rob's rent house. I knew some of the people in the movie. Ok, I really only sort of knew Whamo the "anti-artist" character in the film. He used to man the bar at the Cannibal Club and would supply Rob and I up with free double tall whiskey and Cokes.

I saw the movie at the Dobie theater when it was first released. I really wasn't impressed. At the time, I was trying my best to leave the Austin lifestyle without much success. I had a cheap apartment, few living expenses and a job that paid enough for me to get by. I spent a great deal of time boozing with friends, playing ball and seeing rock shows I never paid for because Rob always had a hookup. But what I really wanted was a job in a bigger city a career and to be able to call myself a professional.

Fuck that. I'm borrowing the wayback machine from Uncle Rico and setting it for 1989.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home