Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Shittiest Autograph Ever


About 1975, when I was in the third grade, perennial just O.K. Texas Rangers catcher Jim Sundberg came to visit my elementary school in Richardson, Texas. This was a huge deal at the time because I'd never seen a real live celebrity --- local or otherwise --- before. He gave some speech about how we needed to stay in school and drink milk to have strong bones --- the usual sports-guy-to-kids speech. I'm not sure how Sundberg got roped into visiting Prairie Creek Elementary. It must have been a mandate from the Rangers' P.R. department or some sort of promotional deal. Yet at the end of his speech, all the kids got autographed photos of Sundberg. At the time, I didn't have any concept of sports autographs or what made them valuable or unique. That autographed photo was pinned to a cork board in my room for years. It wasn't until I was in the seventh grade that I realized that the autograph was shitty. It said: "Best wishes, from Dr. Pepper and Jim Sundberg."

1 Comments:

Blogger Will Elmore said...

When I was in college and workeing at Calloway's Nursery on south Cooper in Arlington Jim Sundberg would come in by shitload of mulch.

This was during the late 90's when he was doing the Rangers games on TV.

Even though he was kind of a spare it was still cool to see him roaming around looking at gardening supplies.

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home