Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Talk Talk Talk

I cannot bring myself to watch the debates --- either presidential or vice presidential. That's sort of unusual for a person who makes a living writing about government. But then again, I've studied each party's political philosophy for 20 years. I've written about campaigns. And I've also taken the next step and written about how those political philosophies have effected people's lives. And I made up my mind long ago about what works best. It wasn't slogans that formed my basis of opinion, it was actual evidence that I witnessed first hand.

So when a couple of guys who are incredibly far removed from my life toss slogans back and forth at each other for an hour and a half, I get bored quickly. I've heard everything there is to hear. So, like everybody else, I find myself watching for the stumbles --- the visual attraction of a spetacular crash which compells most people to watch car races. And I think that's what compells most people to watch a debate. Some want to watch to have their own opinions reinforced, a few tune in to get informed, but most are looking for a car wreck. And maybe the guy who get's left in a smoking heap on debate night deserves to lose, although it rarely happens.

But really, the debates really aren't meant for people like me. They're for people who might make up their minds based on who looks more "presidential." And I've yet to cast a vote based on a candidate's looks.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home