Thursday, August 24, 2006

The First Three Letters of the Alphabet


I may have been the straightest man at the Granada Theater on Thursday night.

Sure, I had a good idea that ABC would be a fun show. Meaningless, hummable 80's pop, that went real good with thin lapelled jackets.

But think about it. How many times has "Poison Arrow" or "Be Near Me" been played at gay dance clubs? I'm not sure but it's a probably whole lot of times. So that must have been why confetti came fluttering down from the ceiling at the Granada and just about every other early 40s guy at the show was in better shape than me.

ABC has held up well also. Martin Fry and his guitarist fully embraced the era that made them famous by sporting sort of matching dance club suits --- the guitarist went for the Miami Vice white suit while Martin opted for the shark skin grey number that picked up the gel lights well.

They ran through the hits quickly --- the highlight being 1987's "When Smoky Sings". By the time that song rolled around, I was about danced out and headed for the door.

In the humid August air while walking back to my truck, I wondered --- does being a fan of ABC make me, well, really stunted musically? Probably.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

Are you 40?!

3:20 PM  
Blogger john clarke said...

Nah. I'm sniffing it though. Nine more months to go --- sort of like a pregnancy but without the baby.

10:40 AM  
Blogger whitneydonkey said...

I would have loved this show.

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home