Thursday, March 01, 2007

Hey, I Was On T.V.!


Last night, I watched the ridiculous "Dominic Dunne's Power, Privilege and Justice" because he was featuring the first big murder case I ever wrote about as a newspaper reporter --- the murder of Fort Worth socialite Caren Koslow.

For those who've never seen this Court TV product, it's essentially "Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous" plus homicide.

The Koslow murder was a big deal 15 years ago because women like her aren't supposed to get murdered. She ultimately died because her step daughter --- the extremely wheels off Kristi Koslow --- told her other 19-year-old buddies they'd get a million dollars of her inheritance if they bumped her off and her dad.

I was one of the first reporters to show up at the Koslow house --- way before dawn one morning in 1992 --- on my first month on the police beat. Since I was all of 24-years-old then, I wrote some of the first stories about the murder and then got shoved aside later when a more senior reporter took the story over. That happens quite often at big city newspapers. But I was still expected to do a lot of the ground work. Mostly, I tracked down anybody who knew the Koslows and friends of their hell-child adopted daughter. I spent several days after the crime hanging out in front of the murder scene house, talking to cops and crime scene folks.

Last night, if you looked real close, you could see the corner of my leather bomber jacket in the corner of the screen in the old file video footage of an interview with the medical examiner that took place outside of the murder scene.

It was weird seeing all of these people who were associated with the case being interviewed in old tapes because they all look different from how I remembered them. And it was really creepy that I can still recall every single detail of how that crime happened.

But sitting through that show meant having to listen to Dominic Dunne's stupid over-the-top commentary --- stuff like: "Kristi Koslow would have been voted 'Most Likely to Kill Her Parents' in high school if there was such a category."
Kristi ended up being spared the death penalty by a jury because she was young and female, which ultimated detracted from the drama of her story. Her life sentence must have disappointed Kristi because, ironically, she seemed to live for drama.

As I remember Kristi, she was just a dumb self-absorbed kid who did a really dumb self-absorbed crime. There really wasn't anything any more fascinating about her or her crime than that.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I also remember the Koslow case. I had briefly dated Brian Salter before (maybe even after) he met Kristi. I also remember meeting her a couple of times way back then. Didn't like her. I was even called to the District Attorney's office for questioning. Sadly, I was not surprised when I got that crazy phone call one evening from a mutual friend's grandmother. Later on, I was sick to hear that it was Jeff that got the death penalty instead of Kristi and Brian. As I remember him being a bit better than all of the rest of them. I also was disappointed when I watched Dominick Dunne's version, it brought a lot more excitement to a horrible situation that was just plain old sad...

5:39 AM  
Blogger anonymous said...

What Kristi did was iniquitous, but she is paying her debt to society. Who is either of you to cast judgment upon her? I, along with Kristi, attended West Academy. I probably should not speak for others, but I do not think they would disagree with my saying that for the most part, we were all narcissistic and reckless, which is synonymous with juveniles of divorce. No, we did not employ others to murder our parents, but believe me we were asinine. The State of Texas tried Kristi as an adult, but honestly, she was only a child. From what I understand, she is repentant. Why you find it imperative to blog about her sins is beyond me. Both of you are very rude! “…Why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? Matthew 7:3

4:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wonder who made the phone call before they left their house and went straight to an attorneys office prior to being arrested? I guess only four, now three will know the contents of that conversation.

8:14 PM  
Blogger lauracarlson said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:09 PM  
Blogger lauracarlson said...

Hey John - we are covering this case for an upcoming series on the Oxygen Network. Would love to chat if you have some time.
laura.carlson@jupiterent.com

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home