Thursday, October 07, 2004

37 and counting

Every now and then, I catch myself doing something that would have never occured 15 years earlier.

Take yesterday. The Dallas Morning News Food section has a front page item on chipotle onion brisket with corn tomato salad. The food section is laying on a table of the break room at work. And it looks really, really good. I want this brisket like a crack head wants a pipe. 15 year ago, this mental fix would have been sated by a trip to Sonny Bryant's for a BBQ hit. But I don't think this way any longer. So I pick up a pair of scissors and cut out the article. It was if I was watching myself from afar as I performed this act as my brain was screaming "What the Hell??". Then I remembered "Oh yeah. I'm 37." 37-year-olds by houses, have kids, put money in 401K's for their retirement, take up cooking out of either a hobby or neccesity and, apparrently, the clip recipes out of daily newspapers for future use.

This weekend, there's a rock show I've been looking forward to --- Sam Phillips will be doing her torch song thing at the Son's of Hermann. I've always wanted to see her, but never have. I liked her best when she was in the pop rock realm of Bikini's & Martinis, but this new turn will certainly be good and different. She's playing on Sunday. I plan on making the brisket on Sunday too. But I'm more looking forward to making the brisket. That must be because I'm 37.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home