Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Freak Beat

You know you like a band too much when you really dig their last and worst recording. Such is the case for me with Happy Mondays. Everytime a cut off "Yes, Please" comes up on my Launch.com station, I'm reminded that I like this effort, even if Sean Ryder was blasted out of his mind on smack and couldn't be bothered during the recording sessions.

To reassure that I'm not permanantly stuck musically in 1991 (Whitney admits to this problem), Launch just played some indie band called "Say Hi to Your Mom." I liked it. Of course, I'm going to like any geeky band that writes songs called "Let's Talk About Spaceships." Thanks for that Launch.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

I bet you at least know who The Maroon Five are.

No one is stuck in the musical past more than I. Well, maybe Kev.

11:57 AM  
Blogger K. said...

Now wait a minute...

Just because I like pre-1960's jazz and pre-war blues doesn't mean I'm stuck in the past. Who introduced you to such non-deceased performers as the Asylum Street Spankers? Charlie Haden? The Hot Club of Cowtown? Tab Benoit? Madeleine Peyroux? Oh wait, they play old school jazz and blues.

Damn...I'll never be hip or cutting edge.

-K.

12:36 PM  
Blogger K. said...

Wait, how about: the Shins, the Eels, Chris Whitley, Death Cab for Cutie...all within the last decade. So there, I'm not completely stuck in the past.

-K.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Robert_M said...

You cats aren't stuck, you have a very cool appreciation for the music of the past. This is an extremely cool quality, way cooler than knowing who's going to the candy shop and why.

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home