Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Comcast

I will heap abuse on my monopolistic cable company Comcast at the drop of a hat. They suck. Their customer service is nonexistant. They overcharge unless you bitch. And then sometimes they'll make it right.

But I have to say, I dig their direct tv, cable on demand option. It's almost smoothed over my bad feelings about Comcast. Over the weekend, I started watching a terrible movie on demand that only appealed to me. It was "Bless the Children and the Beasts" an awful pre-Meatballs 1971 movie about a bunch of misfit kids at a summer camp who banded together to save some buffaloes from being shot. It was of interest because 1. I saw it as a kid as a late-night movie on Channel 11. and 2. It starred a long-haired Billy Mumy, who played the kid on the 1960's tv series Lost in Space. The movie (Karen walked in and said, "what in the hell are you watching?") was so bad, I stopped it after 10 minutes. But at least I didn't have rent it or take time out of my normal viewing schedule to waste time watching it.

So I went over to the music section of on demand. I watched a short documentary about Dallas' own Old 97's. Guitarist Ken, Tara's old roommate and a dude who I see from time to time at Home Depot, was in high form in this. At one point, he says the band will stay together for no other reason than to piss people off. That's an attitude I like.

Then I watched a 30 minute piece about high-jinks that went on during a David Cross comedy tour. It's a small segment of a docu called "Let the People Laugh" with the cuss words cut out. Cross is so brutally funny in this. At one point, he get's into an argument with a bar manager in Nashville who wants to set up tables and chairs near the stage where he's performing. Cross recounts to his friends what happens when he asked the guy to move them, because his audience generally likes to stand near the stage like rock show. The manager tells him: "Sorry. Nashville is a whole 'nother beast. The only thing I can compare it to is New York or L.A." What?

I think I'm going to watch a 30 minute piece on Duran Duran next.


Currently listening to UB40's "Don't Break My Heart". What a beautiful song. How come *that* never gets played on all the 80's recycle radio stations?

1 Comments:

Blogger Robert_M said...

Comcast pisses me off. I pay for everything, but still half the channels say 'one moment please' for hours on end.

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home