Friday, August 05, 2005

Can Man Eat Too Much Hummus?

I dealt hunger a serious blow this afternoon by visiting Antone's Cafe down on the corner. Antone's is a Greek/Mediterranean near my office. It's been there at least since the late 80's. And that's something to be proud of because there are few businesses of any kind in downtown Dallas that have any sort of longevity.

The guy who runs it, whose name is indeed Antone, is sort of crazy. It must come from saying the same thing over and over again to his customers, loudly. "You want SPICEY?" "Anything for you BABY!" But I've gotten used to it. It's a minor inconvenience in exchange for a delicious gyro sandwich with a side of hummus and a drink for five bucks. But what's weird is that Antone always addresses me as "Joe." He doesn't call everybody Joe. Just me. I've never even told Antone my name. "Gyro sandwich for JOE!" But he's been calling me Joe for about 9 months now. So it's way too late to correct him.

I love the Greek guy. They work hard and always show up. And they're always quick with the advice for you to do the same: "Vacation? You chase women and spend all your money. It's better to be at work."

When we had an ice storm a couple of years ago, I made it to work, only because my boss drove me in. There were only a handful of people working downtown that day. And when lunch time rolled around, no place was open. Except, of course, Antone's. Antone kept me fed that day. So I'll continue to be his customer, even though he has no idea what my real name is.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

I want to go to this place. Let's get Mintez and go next week.

1:33 PM  
Blogger john clarke said...

I'm for that.

4:47 PM  
Blogger Gye Greene said...

Places like this are what cities & towns are all about.

It's always groovy being a "regular" at an eating establishment. :)

--GG

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home