Thursday, April 13, 2006

Chicks With Tattoos


Back in 1984, tattoos were not riding the wave of popularity that they are now. Sure, lots of guys had them back then. But rarely would you see them on a girl.

So I remember the first shockingly bad girl tattoo I ever saw. I was at Six Flags to see this stupid band called Zebra play. And standing right in front of me on the baking hot asphalt was a skinny metal chick with teased blonde hair, spandex pants and a pink leather halter top. On her right shoulder blade she had "Nikki 666" --- a devilish way to spell the name of Motley Crue's herion-lovin' guitar player --- burned into her skin with dark green ink. Assuming she was 19 years old at the time, Miss 666 would now be 41 years old.

Today, I can't remember anything about the music Zebra played --- I'm sure it was a whole lot of screaming guitars bolstering the lead singer's falsetto voice, which for some reason I thought made the band sound more "rockin' " But I still remember that 22 years ago, the Nikki 666 tattoo provoked this thought: "You know, when that girl in front of me is 41, her love of devil rock may have faded, but that tattoo won't. I'm betting little Justin is going to have some questions for mommy about that ink choice."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home