Sunday, April 13, 2008

Half-assed contractor


I needed a decent contracter to do some drywall and texture repair to a ceiling in my house. So I found this guy in East Dallas named Paul Brown. He agreed to repair for a fair price, did good work and was quick about it.
He seemed nice enough too, if a little on the chatty side. He also said something that is sort of relevant now, I guess. He said: "My pastor told me to always do a job like you're working for God." Right then I was a little weirded out --- strangers who bring up religion in casual conversation always make me feel that way. I'm OK with whatever beliefs a person has, but I'm a true "deeds not words" believer --- don't tell me about your Christianity, show me.


After he finished, I made a deal with him to repair and paint all of the cracks in the walls in my house. Paul Brown wants $550 --- $275 up front and $275 upon completion. Paul Brown does about four or five hours worth of work and never comes back. I call him repeatedly and he doesn't respond. He leaves all of his stuff in my house too. So I've got a house full of unfinished plaster repair --- there are four rooms where he's left work half finished --- and all of his materials, should I choose to use them.

So I've spend the last two weekends finishing what Paul Brown of A&B Services or Paul's Painting Concepts --- depending on what business card he's using this week --- should have finished.


Paul Brown may have got a better contracting job offer that week or he may have had some sort of tragedy happen in his life. But dude, be a man and call your customer and tell him you can't finish the job.


Now I'm wondering what God would think about Paul Brown's half-assed effort.

3 Comments:

Blogger Gye Greene said...

Or: you'll feel **really** guilty for slagging on him when you find out he's been hit by a bus...


Thx for the blog entry. :)


--GG

6:57 PM  
Blogger Will Elmore said...

You know this dude is going to roll up to your house and demand his equipment and act like nothing ever happened.

Thanks for nothing Bible-Banger.

9:38 PM  
Blogger Gye Greene said...

As I think about this more (and I **do** think about other things), I'd wager some amounts of money on something having happened to him.

Tradespeople don't just abandon their gear at jobsites. And if there's cans of paint and such there -- that's $$$ that he needs to recoup through getting PAID for the gig. If he's actually been in business for any length of time, he knows this.

I notice a hammer, scissors, and screwdriver in the pile. I don't know what other equipment he left -- but some of that stuff he'd want for the next gig. He probably has a "kit" that he uses on jobs, with his frequently-used-tools. Weird that he'd leave components of his "kit" at an old job...


--GG

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home