Saturday, September 09, 2006

Auto Repair, Fred Sanford Style


Attempting to repair the damage done to a 1983 Ford Ranger usually involves a trip to the junk yard, the only outlet for long forgotten parts.

Junk yards are sad, creepy and extremely dirty places and I love them. I wonder who owned the vehicles which have been abandoned for vultures like me to scavenge. And I wonder why those people gave up on their cars. In one junk yard, I found a row of about 5 mid 1970s 280 Zs that looked like were not that far removed from road worthiness. In another yard, I saw a 1970 Spitfire. Those cars are fun to own and people enjoy keeping them running. The row of left for dead minivans, well, I can understand that.

I found a row of Rangers and amazingly enough there was one that had a dash that was in pretty good shape --- usually padded dashes don't last long in the Texas sun. I got a gauge bezel and a vent window out of another Ranger. Then I paid about 45 bucks for my purchase and left. I was covered in about an inch of dirt when I walked out of the gate, but that was free.

1 Comments:

Blogger whitneydonkey said...

swap meets are fun for car parts too.

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home