Thursday, October 21, 2004

Cable TV

When did cable TV all of the sudden become such an expensive proposition?

It seems like I've had cable T.V. forever. I even had it as a poor college student. At 20 bucks a month, it was a luxury that I could afford. I had no movie channels back then, but I had access to the great late 80's MTV which had Remote Control and the still great 120 minutes. I also watched a lot of the budding Comedy Central, which back then mostly played snippets of live standup acts.

When I graduated and moved into various apartments around the metroplex, I upped the cable ante a bit. I had one or two movie channels, which became packaged with a few extras channels. For example, if you got HBO, the cable folks would through in Stars or some other lesser movie channel for free. My bill creeped up to about $40 bucks. Still it was worth it.

About 1998, I got hip to the ways of digital cable. I became addicted to this invention which provided ready information about whatever program I was watching, what was coming up next, and allowed me to search for programs. For this, I paid about $75, which included an HBO package.

Now that I'm married, cost control is out the window. My wife watches a ton more TV than I do. And she insists on having the premium cable package. We argue about this, but I think there's really only six channels that she watches on a regular basis. For her, I think she just wants the ability to watch 140 different channels. She has a set list of shows that are priorities. I'm more of a scanner. Save for a few shows such as the flagship HBO products such as The Wire and The Sopranos, there is no must see TV for me. I'll fly by a ton of channels and stop on whatever catches my attention. Usually it's a program about WWII German tanks or a shoe sting budget indie film shot in Canada. And the right for my wife what six channels and me to channel surf 140 channels on three different TV sets, we pay $118 a month! That's a ton of money for something I could easily live without. I could switch to $20 basic cable in a heartbeat. But my wife wouldn't hear of that. So I'm taking a hit for the Council team.

Somebody at Comcast at least oughta send me a Christmas card.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

Dish Network Brutha.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Robert_M said...

Eff Comcast! oh and I wish you'd blog more

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home