Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Ants Marching

Yesterday, I noticed that sugar ants were assaulting my kitchen cabinets as I was beginning to cook dinner.

I do not fear the sugar ant. They are minor nuisances in the world of insects. They don't bite --- at least I don't think they do. They just get in your food.

However, I do fear the bug spray. If that gets in the food supply, its much more dangerous than eating a few sugar ants. Everytime I handle bug spray, I'm really careful where I use it and I wash my hands immediately after. I've always thought that whatever it is in bug spray that is effective at killing bugs would also be effective in killing me too. It's irrational belief, I know. But to me, it's not a completely illogical thought.

I decide to go outside and spray around the house in all possible ant entry locations before cooking. This did not provide immediate results. So I cook anyway, using food that is not located in the cabinets and avoid the ants. It was kind of gross.

Later, after I finished eating, I threw out all the ant infected food and sprayed in areas outside of the cabinets. That killed a few ants, but they were still lining up on one of the cabinets.

This morning when I woke up, I saw no activity. The ants had all been sent back to their maker.

So I'm glad I took the patient route instead of spraying everything in sight like a madman.

2 Comments:

Blogger Robert_M said...

Now I have that song stuck in my head

9:53 AM  
Blogger annush said...

screw that...
i would have sprayed everything for fun...

*singing*
Candyman tempting the thoughts of a
sweet tooth tortured by the weight loss program cutting the corners
loose end, loose end, cut, cut
On the fence, could not to offend
cut, cut, cut, cut...

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home