Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Dignity

I see a wealth of desperation on my drive into work. Every weekday, I pass a corner of Dallas where the homeless gather so they can get fed. Every day, I wonder what a lot of these people's circumstances are and how it is they've fallen so far. But today, I saw a guy that I can truly say had hit the lowest point possible. Stop reading now if you're easily grossed out.

The man was wearing a white jump suit. And it was apparent that he'd lost control of his bowels sometime during the evening. So he was cleaning himself with a paper towel in clear view of the traffic on Main Street.

I've been in close contact with the homeless since college. And my sympathy for them rises and falls. Sometimes I'll give them money. But if I'm harassed, I don't. I truly feel sorry for the homeless who are mentally ill or have actually lost a job. I don't feel sorry for the hardcore homeless who live on the street by choice because they don't like rules or they have an addiction problem but don't want help.

But seeing that guy today was the first time I realized the true depth of loss of the homeless. Obviously, they've lost their housing. They've lost their jobs. They've lost all of their money. And some have lost their minds. But the worst part of being homeless has to be losing your dignity. I couldn't even imagine what that would feel like.

1 Comments:

Blogger Robert_M said...

Damn homey...

7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home