Thursday, July 14, 2005

For Better Highway Vision

I love inexpensive sunglasses. I have about 15 pairs of them right now --- all purchased at various dollar stores.

And I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm really vain when picking out shades. They've got to make me look mean or mod or vaguely glamorous or I'll put 'em back on the rack.

The sunglass experience is actually one of the big reasons I switched to contacts five years ago. After more than a decade wearing standard glasses, I had to be unshackled from the indignity of the same expensive prescription sunglasses that I'd been wearing for years. They were way out of fashion (the same kind Ferris Bueller wore.)

So now I've got stupid Nascar glasses, Dirty Harry glasses and punk rock glasses. And I'm dying to get a pair of mirror aviator glasses like I used to have in high school.

Some pairs I'll wear once or twice and then junk them. But the true test of sunglasses worthiness is if I wear them on a 13-hour drive to Colorado. If they serve me well during one of those journeys, they're going to be around a while.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

I sadly had to recently give up my cheap red sunglasses that I got at a New Hampshire gas station...The only thing I had as a souvenir from the total of about 20 minutes I spent in NH on the drive to Maine. I refuse to spend more than 15.99 on sunglasses. They always get lost or broken.

1:31 PM  
Blogger Robert_M said...

I pretty much top out at $15, and that's if I'm feeling flash.

Good strategy

7:04 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

how cool is it that you used the word 'mod' to describe a pair of sunglasses?!

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home