Saturday, July 09, 2005

The Hoopty

A couple of years ago, my Dad offered to sell me his 1983 Ford Ranger pickup for a 1,000 bucks because he was getting a new one. Because I'd just bought a big ass house that needed restoration, I figured the truck would be useful hauling stuff to the dump and picking up large items at Home Depot. I thought I'd just sell the truck when I was finished with it.

Fat chance.

I've fallen in love with this dated hunk o' metal. There are sentimental reasons for the attachment. I learned to drive a stick shift in this truck. And I took my first long road trip with a girlfriend in this vehicle --- to Santa Fe where the underpowered engine struggled mightly going uphill in the mountains.

The Hoopty as she's called, has turned out to be the best investment I've ever made. I use it all the time --- just today I had to haul a bunch of yard waste to the dump.

For a 22-year-old truck, the Hoopty is pretty phenominal. The paint still shines. The AC still works, sort of. And the V-6 engine has an incredible 267,000 miles on it. It's so 80's looking, it's almost cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home