Friday, July 29, 2005

looking for the joke with a microscope

I've started shopping at Walmart precisely because it's less cool than Target. I can get in and out of Walmart with my basic shopping needs without the temptation of swanky panel shirts or a Galaga plug and play game. But the evil Walmart near my house has my number. Next to the checkout line, they've set up a display of $99 electric guitars. You can choose from a blonde wood fake Stratocaster like Stevie Ray Vaughn used to play or a red fake Les Paul like Jimmy Page plays. Too bad, but the fake Flying V is not an option.

Strange, but for a person whose life almost revolves around guitar music, I've never even thought about purchasing the instrument for myself. I know it's difficult to master. And I'm not sure if learning this instrument will bring me more frustration than joy. But for $99, I think I'm going to give it a shot. I'm leaning towards one of the fake Les Pauls --- it's a classic fake guitar, the first model of them all. And hopefully, it'll come with an instruction book so I can learn some chords.

So I figure I'll start out learning AC/DC's Hell's Bells. Then, if my fingers can move fast enough, I'll move on to The Close Lobster's "Too Bloody Stupid." And then, after years of practice, hopefully I can proudly play "Crazy Nights" by Loudness.

8 Comments:

Blogger Robert_M said...

I'm looking forward to this

11:03 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

Playing the guitar is EASY. But if you get an electric guitar, you're gonna need an amp. I can teach you to play "Fly by Night."

11:25 AM  
Blogger john clarke said...

Thank you Tara Holt. Who else would I learn a Rush song from?

11:31 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

Kev taught me everything I know.

11:40 AM  
Blogger K. said...

I disavow any and all knowledge of Rush songs.

For several hundred bucks more, you could get an upright bass. It has a higher coolness factor than a guitar. Plus, I know a certain house band that needs a standup bass player. And a percussionist. And a vocalist.

But I support a guitar-playing john_clarke also.

-K.

6:06 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

Don't listen to him...he knows lots of Rush songs.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Gye Greene said...

If you want to be El Cheapo, you can pick up a used boom box at a garage sale (as long as it has a "microphone in" jack), and use that as a guitar jack.

Or, a walkman-sized mini-amp (runs on 9V batteries) like this for around $20.

You'll need a distortion pedal, too, for rock music. For $20-$30 you can get a cheapy, no-name brand on ebay. Or something like
this
at Musician's Friend, or similar.

--TG

4:35 PM  
Blogger Gye Greene said...

Sorry -- the exact link didn't come across.

If you use the "sort by price: less than $25" filter at the top, there's a fair number of distortion pedals in the $15-$25 range.

--TG

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home