Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Flag Talk

Over at Pills, Thrills & Bellyaches, http://robert_minter.blogspot.com/ , Rob discusses the joys of flying the Jolly Roger outside his Austin Apartment many years ago.

Like Rob, flag issues have crossed my mind recently. Just last weekend, I was staring at the empty flag pole holder outside my house, wondering what to fill it with. I've had some experience with this issue.

I love the Stars and Stripes and what it represents. But everybody flies it. So it sort of has the same impact as putting a magnetic ribbon on the back of your car.

When I lived in my first house, I flew the Lone Star instead. It was cool. I love the Lone Star too. But it got rained on a bunch. And despite what the lame t-shirts say about the Stars & Stripes, the colors on the Lone Star ran. So I switched over to the Union Jack. I'm English on both sides of my family, so I thought it was appropriate. Besides, the English make really good rock & roll. The Jack flew proudly until some stupid co-worker drove by and asked me "Why are you flying a Confederate flag outside your house?" So I figured there are plenty of other idiots who'd make the same mistake. So down went Jack in the interest of saving my house from being burned down.

I thought about putting up the Union Jack at my current house. But besides the mistaken identity problem, I happen to be married to a woman who's of Irish decent. She's got red hair even. And she gets mad. So in the interest of United Kingdom relations, I will defer from displaying the English flag at my shared residence.

But, you know, pirates were both English and Irish. And lots of people who live in the United States are decended from people who got kicked out of England and Ireland for being drunk and unruly. I suspect that john_clarke and john_clarke's wife families both fit into this category. So I'm advocating that the Jolly Roger be hoisted on Gaston Avenue. Arrrrrrgh.

3 Comments:

Blogger Robert_M said...

I'd liek to see the Jolly Roger make a comeback on the upper east side.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Gye Greene said...

FWIW: Bad link to the other blogspot site.

--GG

9:47 PM  
Blogger Gye Greene said...

Good one.

Try the Australian flag, too; has cache. (sp?)


-GG

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home