Sunday, August 21, 2005

The Rolling Dutchmen


While heading north on Highway 550 through New Mexico, we encountered a procession of vintage Volvos, lumbering along in a very safe manner that Volvos are known for. They were only traveling at 60 mph when the speed limit was 75 mph on this desert roadway. On closer inspection, all of the Volvos were late 1950's and early 1960's models. And everyone driving them was from Holland. I know this because they all had Dutch license plates. And a couple of the cars had signs on them that said something like "Holland travels Route 66." I am a huge fan of the Dutch. I have enjoyed their country. And I hope they were enjoying mine. If I could speak Dutch, I would have told them to pull over and informed them of some very bad news; they weren't anywhere close to Route 66.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home