Thursday, August 11, 2005

Joy


For me, there's a certain thrill attached to checking the listings for upcoming music performances in my city. Usually, the listings are littered with Cinderella reunion tours, Nu Metal festivals and tons people nobody's ever heard of. But sometimes there's a gem in the listings --- a band I thought I'd never get to see. And today I saw that Gang of Four is coming in October. Gang of Four! They were the first of the great post punk bands. Their first album, 1979's Entertainment, is a must own for rock music fans. I even like their biggest failure of an album, 1983's Hard, when Gang of Four tried to recreate themselves as a dance band and had a hit ---
probably their only one --- with "I Love A Man in a Uniform." I can't wait to see these guys.

And fans of Hobbit Rock will be glad that Jethro Tull is coming in October. I'll say it again: If your rock band contains a flute player, something has gone seriously wrong.

4 Comments:

Blogger john clarke said...

I'd see Green Day for free in a suite. Not very punk rock seeing a band in a suite though.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Robert_M said...

I'm so going to Tull, just so I can demand the whistler at every break.

Dude play the effin' whistler

1:03 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

I played the flute-like tin whistle on one of our songs, but I am OUT on Tull.

2:16 PM  
Blogger Gye Greene said...

How about with an accordian player? They Might be Giants rock!!!

--GG

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home