Monday, September 12, 2005

Eating crappy cereal, watching crappy kids tv shows



I remember when I was a kid, I got really excited in September because that's when the networks rolled out the new Saturday morning kids shows. Most of them were lame Hanna Barbara cartoons that were poorly drawn and dealt heavily in frustration humor like "Hong Kong Phooey" (a stupid dog super hero that was supposed to solve crimes but was so dumb, the crimes always got solved by accident.)

But I liked the live action series better. For some reason, the shows I liked only lasted one season. Remember "Big John Little John?" It was one of those kid and adult switch places story lines starring Robbie Rist, the little John Denver look-a-like punk who was on the last season of the Brady Bunch as Cousin Oliver. How about "Shazam!" All I remember about that one was the Shazam guy was a teenager who'd say "Shazam" and would turn into a super hero. I seem to remember that he traveled around a lot in an RV with his uncle. I'd watch the hell out of "Isis" and "Electra Woman and Dyna Girl" and "Wonder Buggy" in which various transitional super heros and teens who turned a junked out dune buggy into a super car would solve crimes.

The most obscure of them all was "The Red Hand Gang". All I can remember about this show was a bunch of kids would gather in a wooden hide out that they'd marked with a red hand print. And, of course, they'd solve crimes. Kids just don't solve crimes like they used to.

If you want to drill the Red Hand Gang theme song into your skull, click here:
http://www.culttelly.co.uk/infousa.html

7 Comments:

Blogger Heidi said...

Oh my GOD! I can't believe someone else remembers 'Big John Little John'! I've never known anyone else who did. J.C., you continue to amaze me with your extensive knowledge of pop culture ephemera.

5:04 PM  
Blogger john clarke said...

Watching lots of crap television has made me that man I am today. There's just no denying it.

5:49 PM  
Blogger Robert_M said...

As usual I must defer to you on this one...

6:28 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

I loved Isis. I wanted to be her so bad. Big John looks like a seriel killer.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

I loved Isis- I had all the Isis jewelery- I made it with my Jewel Magic Machine. I also loved Electro Woman and Dina Girl- and of course the Land of the Lost.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

I have a request. Can you elaborate on your feelings regarding 'frustration humor'? This is a topic I'd love to see you tear into sometime in the future, as well as seeing the comments of your regular readers.

10:15 PM  
Blogger whitneydonkey said...

i loved the red hand gang and oh mighty isis. also, electra woman and dina girl.

uh huh.

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home