Thursday, September 08, 2005

Too Old For This


Is there anything more childish than fantasy football? The answer is no. And that makes me a complete infant.

Last night, I participated in my 13th straight fantasy football draft. In 1993, when I had nothing else better to do, I joined a league that was formed by a bunch of police officers in the Fort Worth area. And I've stuck with these guys every single year since then. It's fun to see them every year. It's sort of like stepping back into time when I show up on draft day. I'm reminded of the days when I was an apartment dweller, had an exciting but poorly paid position at a daily newspaper and spent many nights out way past my bed time drinking whiskey with cops who were the source of many good stories --- publishable and non-publishable.

The guys in the league are largely unchanged from 1993. Some have moved, a couple got kicked out, some left after petty arguments (guys fight about the stupidest stuff, like who gets to play short stop on the D division softball team and who gets to pick up Ben Rothlesburger on their fantasy team.) But the guys left in the league are the best of the bunch --- hard working blue collar types who put on a gun and a badge everyday and keep us safe. But they're still a bunch of babies "I told you not to take Daunte Culpepper!", kind of like me.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

What is your team called?

8:06 AM  
Blogger john clarke said...

The Felons.

I thought that was appropriate, considering the profession of most of the league members.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

um, J.C., that is NOT a good look for you.

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home