Monday, April 25, 2005

Voting

I used my lunch hour to early vote in the Dallas municipal elections. Over the years, I've come to believe that municipal elections have a lot more effect on your daily life than voting for the latest empty suit that wants to be in the White House. My previous councilperson helped keep a historic home a street over from my house from being knocked down, has stayed on top of code enforcement, prevented a big box grocery store from bullying their way into my neighborhood and has supported efforts to get my part of East Dallas named historic district which will stave off those who want to build ugly McMansions next door to my house. It's sad my councilperson is term limited, but three very fine candidates are posed to replace her (a fourth guy is a perenial candidate.) Like any good citizen, I read up about all three candidates, actually met one of them at a neighborhood meet and greet, and cast my vote for the person who best supported my interests. So I walk over to City Hall to vote during lunch time and there was only one other person there voting. Sad. Even with all the pub about the strong mayor initiative, I was nearly alone in my trip to the polls. I shudder to think how many people who vote have actually done any research into the candidates and the issues. Sometimes I think democracy is too good of a system for this country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home