Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Don'tcha Hate To Get Gas

This morning, my truck was low on gas. So as usual, I stop on the way to work to fill up. I've come to accept the reality of $2 gas. But do gas stations have to make it even harder to top off the tank at these prices? I pull into the shady 7-Eleven on Columbia. Of course, the pump that's on the side of my gas tank is out of order. So I back in to the opposite pump, pull out the debit card, and slide it in. The screen freezes after I punch in my PIN. So I proceed to try and cancel the sale. No go. So I do the next natural thing --- punch every button on the keypad to get some sort of response. Finally, the screen says the pump is "Out of Order. What? Why didn't you tell me that to begin with. The next pump that seems to be working has a car parked in front of it. So I pull behind it and wait. And wait. And wait. Finally, some middle aged dude comes abling out with a cup of coffee. And I wait some more while he fills up his tank. Finally he's done and I slide up next to that pump. Again, I put my debit card in, and this time the screen tells me "Debit Cards Not Accepted Outside." WHAT!!! What is the purpose of this? It's impossible to drive off without paying if you're using a credit card. And it's impossible to get the pump to work unless you know the PIN. So as this news is frustrating the hell out of me, of course, some Clocky approaches me with: "Hey man. Can you help me out with some gas for my Cadillac?" Anytime you spent more than 5 minutes at the Columbia 7-Eleven, you will be panhandled. It's just a fact. So I respond "Dude. I can't even get gas here and I've got money. So, uh, No." I go inside, hand the clerk my debit card, and finally get the precious $2.16 a gallon regular unleaded, after 20 minutes of my life were wasted.

1 Comments:

Blogger Robert_M said...

I have it easy at QT, they just whip my ass with advertising while I spend $50 on gas.

8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home