Monday, April 18, 2005

Return

I got back from CO last night. As much fun as I have in Colorado, I'm glad to get back to my own bed, and for some reason, my responsibilities as a human being. The yard look like hell because I didn't mow it. And Karen needs some attention too.

Plenty of skiing happened, first at Vail, which was a complete success. I went after it for about 4 and a half hours, enjoying a perfect 50 degree day, wide open slopes and soft snow. This near perfect day was capped off by a fantastic rock performance by Dogs Die in Hot Cars (sorry for this name Tara, but that's what they call themselves) at a really cool old converted movie theater in downtown Denver called the Bluebird. Dogs Die have their XTC imitation down pat, sans Andy Patridge's master song writing ability. But nevertheless, all of their songs are catchy and they were quite engaging on stage.

Day two of skiing was a little less satisfying. I went to Arapahoe Basin, and my friend Will wisely suggested that I take a shortcut through Loveland Pass to get to this ski area. Loveland Pass is a beautiful two lane road that runs right across the Continental Divide. This road is steep and takes you through a craggy twist of snow-capped mountains. When you get to the top of the pass, you'll wish you hadn't forgotten the camera because the view is ridiculous. During the winter, this road is nearly impassable unless you're rolling on snow chains. But since it was 50 degrees outside, and the roads were completely dry, I figured my Mustang would have no trouble on this pass. That was almost true until I ran into a shady spot, hit some nearly invisible ice, and had the rear end come out from underneath me. There was no gaurdrail where I was, so I was about 10 feet away from becoming a Colorado causality, by plunging my car off about a 700 foot drop. But I regained control, just as about about 1 pound of adrenaline pumped through my body. I made it to the ski area unscathed. But after two runs, I was completely worn out. Adreneline rushes will do that to you. So I headed back to my friend's house --- avoiding Loveland Pass --- and gladly called it a day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Robert_M said...

Sounds like a scene from Speed Racer, did you have blue sweat?

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home