Monday, April 18, 2005

The New Jukebox

During my evenings out in lovely Golden CO, I came across a new invention that I'm pretty sure is not a great benefit to the greater drinking community. Both of the standard CD operated jukeboxes in the pool hall and bar we visited had been replaced by a modern updated version that pulls it's selection from the internet, allowing the customer to download choices from thousands of artists. But this is no automated old-style Napster machine. I had to test the machine's ability by asking for the Close Lobsters and got nothing in return. But I did get about Talk Talk 20 songs to choose from. So I selected "Life's What You Make It." Then I discovered how wrong I was to play that song. Imagine listening to a beautiful emotive song that brings up all sort of emotions, while endulging in a pitcher of Miller Lite and playing a game of cut-throat pool with your friends. Sometimes it's better to be limited by the choices of your drinking establishment's music box. I love Talk Talk. But the old poolhall jukebox featured a legally-required copy of Back In Black, and "Have A Drink On Me" was really what the moment called for. When we encountered another one of these machines in another bar, I wised up and played some drinking music. The Pogues "If I Should Fall From Grace" got spun. The lesson I learned is it's not always good to trick up your music machine. Besides, this thing cost me a buck a song. So wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home