Monday, May 09, 2005

Watch Wacky

My biggest material weakness is for the wrist watch. I currently own about 30 of them --- and that's not enough in my opinion. Although I appreciate the expensive watch --- I can spot a Patek Philippe from twenty paces --- I don't own anything worth more than about 40 bucks. I wear different watches for different occasions, to go with different clothes, or to match whatever mood I'm in. But sometimes I get attached to a particular watch. For example, Karen gave me this cool Timex sport watch that had a digital readout and classic analog face. She gave it to me for Christmas a few years ago. It was my watch of the moment, meaning I wore the hell out of it. It wouldn't come off my wrist for months at a time. Even though I planned to wear a classic Bulova windup on Oct 25, 2003, the day I got married, I was in kind of a hurry early in that day (which involved nonstop jacking around with my friend Will, accomplishing important missions like shopping for used CDs, looking for weird T-shirts at a Salvation Army store and running into notable C-list celebrity Gary Busey.) So at 6 p.m., I checked the time right before I was about to walk down the isle, and there was the trusty Timex sport watch on my wrist. The Timex went with us on our honeymoon and was still in the watch rotation when we went on a cruise the next year. I wore it snorkeling and luckily the watch was indeed water resitant up to 45 meters, as the back of the watch advertized. It finally crapped out after about 3 years of abuse.

I'm now wearing a very cool no-name sport watch I got for 9 bucks yesterday. I wonder where this watch will go with me?

1 Comments:

Blogger whitneydonkey said...

i had a watch fetish in high school. i had a gucci watch that was beautiful and i had a whole bunch of the swatch watches, some of them smelled like fruit.
i don't wear a watch anymore because i am always by a computer with a clock.

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home