Sunday, May 01, 2005

WT at your service

"Like LeAnn Rimes, I'm all about value," ---- Bare Naked Ladies.

I've just crossed the threshold of white-trashdom: I purchased clothes at Walmart. Wait, it gets worse. These clothes are for work.

Every day of my work life, I wear some sort of khaki pants on the lower half of my body. In 1989 when I got my first real job, I was wearing 100 percent cotton khakis. They were high maintenance clothes because they required ironing. I'd wear those until they frayed at the ends --- they took a beating because I took them to the cleaners and had the starched so I didn't have to iron them which weakens the fabric. Next up was the development of the wrinkle-free khaki --- such genius. No more ironing or trips to the dry cleaners. The next development in khacki technology was stain resistance. Now you could change the oil in your car wearing khackis and merely hose off the grease. But the king of all developments came last year when the adjustable waist was introduced. This invention features a hidden slip in the waistband which gives you and extra inch and expands to fit, depending on how your exercize regimine, or lack thereof, effects the waistline. They're a huge improvement over the elastic waistband, which are only worn by men over the age of 68. I got a pair of the expandables at Target late last year and they're my favorite. But the problem is, the Target brand only come in two colors --- tan and black (I never wear the darker shade --- too waiterlike.) So today, I'm in Walmart buying cleaning supplies and such and browsing the khakis. And I find they have olive green and navy blue in the expandable waistband. So for $12 a pop, my khaki arsenal has been replenished. Glory be.

I'm sort of conflicted about being Walmart patron for completely non-status reasons. Walmart has a reputation of paying their employees a pitance of a salary. And most of the stuff on the shelves comes from China, manufactured by serfs who make 3 cents an hour. This troubles me greatly. But then again, I need khakis.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home