Monday, April 25, 2005

Prowling Part II

Thanks to Rob, I went out and got a Dallas Library card during lunch. If you've got a card number, you can get onto the Library's newsbank system for free via the internet and search old newspapers. I use this system to search stuff about historic abandoned houses. Before I had to go to the library or pay to use the service So thanks for that Rob.

I found out a bunch about the house on Park Row I looked at Saturday.

The house was originally the Dallas Hebrew School, built in 1939, for $30,000. Park Row and South Boulevard was once home to much of Dallas' Jewish elite. The school taught culture and Hebrew lessons. The house is 3,200 square feet and has an auditorium that will seat 150 people --- which I find hard to believe unless it has a basement or the entire upstairs was once the auditorium. By the late 1950's, I believe, most Jewish families left this area of town for greener pastures. By the 1960's, well-to-do black people moved into the area. And the Park Row house was a single family residence. In the 1960's a man who owned a funeral supply business lived there until his death in 1969.

1 Comments:

Blogger Robert_M said...

Thanks to you I got to look through all the old A. Harris company and Sanger bros. ads from 1921 looking for a boxscore.

Sadly the boxscore isn't there, so I will trek to the library anyway to look at the effing Fort Worth Record on microfilm.

I found a nice game recap, but I need a box score, aint that a....

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home