Monday, April 25, 2005

Easy Listenin'

I think I spend more money on old, sort of obscure music rather than new obscure music. And this isn't really some sort of statement --- I like plenty of obscure new music. For example, I just got a copy of David Baerwald's excellent "Triage" album in the mail today. As usual, I paid $4.99, including shipping, on Half.com. This album came out in 1992 and is similar, and maybe better, than David & David's "Boomtown", a stunning 1986 release by Baerwald's one-album-and-done band. Both are beautiful musings about urban and moral decay. The trouble is, nobody buys David Baerwald's music these days. Triage had no hit and never sniffed the charts. So what good does it do Baerwald if I buy the album 13 years after its release for a bargain price? So it makes me wonder what relatively obscure, yet new band I should be investing in. Would my money be better spent on Johnathon Rice's new album? He's got some buzz right now. If I paid $14 retail on his CD could Rice avoid the slow fade that seems to strike anyone with talent? This is a terrible burden for me to carry. Screw it. You may suffer for your art, but I can only pay $4.99 for it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

When I worked at Sound Warehouse, our shady managers hid a bunch of David and David albums in the ceiling so they could pretend we sonld them so they could win a contest and go to Mexico for free. While they were in Mexico, one of them told some chick he was Julian Lennon so that she would...uh...like him. I may be mixing up two different stories. Robert M can correct me if I am wrong.
I would love to hear that album. I would also like to hear the Robbie Robertson album we used to listen to all the time.
Ooh, and the Robert Cray one.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

'sold' not sonld

2:51 PM  
Blogger Robert_M said...

I didn't know the whole David and David story, it was all very hush hush. If you will 'like' someone because he is, or says he is Jullian Lennon then you deserve what you get IMHO.

I support half.com as well

8:22 AM  
Blogger DJ said...

It doesnt matter whose album you buy, the artist has probably been royally screwed by their label and they receive nothing as a result anyway. On that basis alone go with the $4.99 option

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home