Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Take That


This morning, I unveiled a new weapon in the war on jackass drivers. Feel free to copy this tactic.

I'm driving on a semi-residential street going the speed limit. Mind you, it's really stupid to speed on this street because a. It's heavily patrolled by members of the Dallas Police Department and b. There are three school zones you pass through, so you end up speeding up just to slow down.

So some lady in a Lexus who's much more important than me and has to get to work right now decides to drive within inches of my rear bumper. She's so close I can see the color of her eye shadow, a very nice magenta/taupe shade, in my rear view mirror. Somehow, it doesn't matter to her that we're both currently driving in a 20 mph school zone. Her menacing driving is some sort of tactic to get me to speed up and hit a back pack-toting third grader. So I remain calm and kept my finger gestures to myself. Instead, I slowly take my foot off the accelerator. My speedometer drops slowly from 20 mph, to 15 mph, to 10 mph. As I slow down to a virtual crawl, the grimace on her face becomes more pronounced. Finally, when we were out of the school zone, she hit the gas and gets around me.

I win.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

It was probably Elizabeth Newman.

7:01 AM  
Blogger john clarke said...

Wow, it's brave to use that on an 18 wheeler.

From now, I'm using that tactic until the driver behind me is forced to pass me. Unless it's an 18 wheeler that could crush me.

7:02 AM  
Blogger AVA said...

That's exactly what I always do. It drives people crazy!!

2:09 PM  
Blogger Gye Greene said...

Ayep! Already do this. Happy I'm not the only one.

If you drive a pretty cheap car, and aren't in a hurry, I think most state laws say the rear-ender is "at fault" -- if you were to brake suddenly because, um, you thought a kid had darted in front of you.


--GG

2:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home