Thursday, August 25, 2005

Stories


My friend Siva once said: "Life is all about collecting really good stories."

I agree. And it's appropriate that he said that because Siva figures into a lot of my favorite stories from college days in Austin.

One winter evening in 1988, Siva, Diane and I were at the Tavern Air Conditioned (don't ask, it's a really old bar) drinking. We were sitting next to a window that looks out over the intersection of 12th and Lamar Street. Siva and Diane had their backs to the window. And I was facing the window, but wasn't paying much attention to what was going on outside since Siva and Diane and I were likely involved in some deep conversation about whether Richard Marx was going to have an enduring musical career.

At some point, I look out the window and see a late 1970's model Chevrolet completely engulfed in flames. Not kind of on fire --- this car was a huge fucking ball of fire. The driver was standing next to his car wondering what to do. Finally I say: "Look. That guy's car is on fire."

Siva jumps into action. But Diane and I stay put, not caring to get blown up. Siva goes outside and has a very short conversation with the guy. The burning car guy won't move. So Siva returns inside the bar. And as soon as he's in the doorway, Siva yells: "Does anybody here speak Portuguese?" The bartender says: "I do!"

What are the odds?

Bartender eventually deals with burning car guy and presumably tells the motorist in his native tongue to move far far away from his inferno of a vehicle.

But it was really Siva who saved the day. I was content just to drink my Shiner Bock and watch a hell of a fire.

2 Comments:

Blogger Robert_M said...

Wasn't the Tavern the first bar in Austin to hav A/C? or so it was claimed?

Didn't we watch the super bowl there with Siva in 1990?

1:33 PM  
Blogger john clarke said...

Let's just say Siva is an international man of mystery.

Good memory Rob. But I think it was actually the 1991 Super Bowl between the Bills and the Giants that we watched at the Tavern. The entire evening was puntuated by very loud "Oh YEAHS!" until Scott Norwood kicked wide right. Then we had to go on Siva suicide watch.

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home