Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Worst Business Ever

I think I visited the most corrupt business ever over the weekend.

For starters, I am rarely the victim of the larcenous mechanic. That's because I have very good understanding of automobiles and what goes wrong with them. You can't tell me I need a new engine when I need a new battery. I know better.

When my truck's steering started pulling violently to the left, the engine labored hard and I smelled something burning, I was pretty sure that the caliper on one of the front disc brakes was sticking. I felt under the car and sure enough, one of the brakes was unusually hot --- signs of sticking.

It was a Saturday afternoon and I doubted the really good independent shop near my house was open. So I called the heavily advertised Just Brakes. I told them, look, my caliper is sticking. That's all I need fixed. Can you do that? The guy's answer sounds just like a Just Brakes radio ad. "Sounds like you need a friction reline which includes all pads and rotor machining. That's $99.98." I figure if they'll fix my caliper and give me new pads for 99 bucks, that's a good deal.

So before I took it over, I quickly Googled them. There were many many complaints about this company. A quick glance at the complaints reveals that Just Brakes often runs up bills by charging for repairs that aren't necessary. Good to know, but maybe this Just Brakes on Greenville Avenue and University is different. After all, it is a franchise. They couldn't all be the same.

When I got there, I told the guy "Look. I just need the caliper fixed. I can't afford the repair if it's going to cost a million dollars." The guy says "It's not going to cost a million dollars. But if we can't fix it properly, we'll refuse the business." Fair enough. I leave my truck there and tell them to call me before they do anything.

I get a call an hour later. The guys says this. "Are you sitting down? Your truck is the worst job we've seen today. It needs all new pads, new rotors, a new master cylinder and all new brake lines. That's going to cost $1,800." I told them not to do anything, I'd pick my truck up. I'm sorry, but for $1,800, you can get your entire engine rebuilt. That's an outrageous price for brake job --- the most expensive I've ever heard of. It was all I could do to return to this place and not go Pat Robertson on the first Just Brakes employee I saw.

I get there, and the owner or manager guy who looked very much like a tattooed gangster who'd just been let out of prison, says "So you don't want us to fix your Ranger?"

I said not for $1,800. I also told the guy that I knew for sure I didn't need a new master cylinder. I've replaced plenty of master cylinders. I know what happens when they go bad. Gangster apparantly didn't have his story straight with the guy who called me. And he said no, it really wasn't the master cylinder, it was the power booster that was out. "Don't you hear that hissing noise?" I said, "No. I've been driving this truck for two years. There is no hissing noise." In fact, I know perfectly well that when a power booster or a master cylinder goes out, the brakes won't hold any pressure and the brake pedal goes to the floor. My truck isn't doing that.

So then he trys to show me what's wrong with my truck by showing me this grease stained laminated chart that really had nothing to do with my truck's 22-year-old brake system. I said, sorry, I'm leaving. He says "Well, that's a really nice truck. It's in good shape. You want to sell it?"

I said sure.

"How much?"

I said "1,800 bucks"

Gangster Just Brakes manager didn't have an answer to that response.

4 Comments:

Blogger Robert_M said...

What's the name of your indie shop?

7:37 AM  
Blogger john clarke said...

The great Mustang automotive center on Abrams just south of Belmont. That's the place that helped Tara out.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

That is sad!! So good that you know what your talking about- Sucks to be on your end of that without knowledge- that is why I will just keep having a car payment with extended warrenty. Brakes- I have my brother help me deal with. Love him!!

9:20 AM  
Blogger Gye Greene said...

Briliant story.

--GG

12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home