Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Scotsmen on a School Night



If you had to stay up way past your bedtime on a Monday night, you could do a lot worse than seeing Idlewild bust out a scorching performance in Dallas with about 70 other people. In the United Kingdom, this band would be playing big auditoriums. But here, I pay $12 bucks and walk right up to the stage to see some guys that came all the way from Edinburgh, Scotland.

I briefly considered staying home and watching the Cowboys on Monday Night Football. Then I put on a Teenage Fan Club album and everything started getting Scottish. So on went the Close Lobsters T-shirt and I was off to the show. The shirt, featuring the long-forgotten late 80's neo psychedelic band from Paisley, Scotland, was a big hit with the Idlewild roadies. "Where did you get that shirt mate?" "I know those guys!" It was fun talking with the roadies who all said "aiye" instead of "yes" and could give me an update as to what Close Lobsters lead singer Andy Burnett is currently doing. He's now a college instructor, according to one of the roadies.

Idlewild came on and proceeded to play a ridiculous set --- nailing every song like they meant it, even though it was apparent the Texas heat was beating the hell out of them. And thank God, nobody in the crowd seemed to make the band regret their tour stop. Usually I feel the need to kill someone in the audience at a Dallas rock performance because there's always a contingency of people who either yak through during the whole show or call out for Freebird. But because Monday night only brings out the professionals, none of this happened.

Lead singer Roddy Woomble is fun to watch. He looks kind of like an Evan Dando starter kit, minus the smack and the attitude. And I doubt there are many other guys with the last name "Woomble" who can rock a microphone like this person.

Anyway, this was without a doubt the best 12 bucks I've spent all year. If Idlewild comes to your town, please see them. I can't wait for them to come back.

1 Comments:

Blogger Robert_M said...

Man I'm glad you went. I should also but lately I've been feeling 100

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home