Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Homeless Politics



Of all of the really boring ballot propositions that Dallasites are considering, there's only one that's generated yard signs and campaign mail outs. It's called Proposition 14 which would establish a new homeless center near downtown. The downtown businesses hate this proposition because they're sick of the homeless who scare away all of their customers and break their windows at night. They want the homeless center somewhere else --- like far away, maybe close to some McMansion-laded suburb. I completely sympathize with this concern.

However, I voted for it. There are probably a lot more people who really need the homeless center that don't hassle me for change while I'm walking to work downtown than those that do. And even if they put the homeless center in Kansas, it wouldn't stop the hardcore street level bum rush.

So I'm coming back from voting and right outside my office are a bunch of homeless people campaigning for the homeless center, passing out fliers and holding up bombastic signs that say stuff like "Don't Support Corporate Apartheid!!!" Sorry, but what Snuffy, Lester and Wildcard fail to realize that people on both sides of this vote want a more bum free downtown. If I were you, I'd put the sign down if you want a new homeless center.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

That guy's mad because he lost his 40-oz somewhere on Gaston.

6:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home