Wednesday, November 23, 2005

My Car the Movie Star


Sometimes my freakishness about movies and cars collide.

The best example is my dearly departed 1969 Mustang Mach 1, which I bought in high school, restored to its original show room condition and sold twenty years later when I got married. It was Gulfstream Aqua, a color Ford only made for two years, 1968 and 1969, and it had a gold stripe. It was a fairly rare color combination.

Imagine my freakout when I watched Harold and Maude for the first time just a few years after I bought my car. Some people obsess over this movie. However, I only obsess about one minute long scene in this movie. It's the one where Maude is leaving a hospital or some downtown building with Harold. Maude gets in the driver's seat of a car and Harold gets in the passenger seat and they and peel out away from the building. Harold later learns that Maude is jacking the car. Sure enough, that car is a Gulfstream Aqua 1969 Mustang Mach 1 with a gold stripe. I must have rewound that scene 200 times to bask in the full glory of my car's appearance in a major Hollywood release --- or what I thought was my exact car. But on further review, the Harold and Maude car had black interior seats. Mine had white. Damn.

3 Comments:

Blogger Gye Greene said...

Still, pretty cool.

--GG

9:21 PM  
Blogger AVA said...

Wow, cool car.
Happy Thanksgiving John!!

3:30 PM  
Blogger Robert_M said...

ahhh yessss...good times

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home