Monday, December 19, 2005

Sometimes I Just Don't Get It

I like to think that I'm as open to new music and artists as most people. My theory is you never know where you'll find your next favorite band, so it's better to listen to a lot of unfamiliar music. But sometimes, the next big thing leaves me perplexed.

M.I.A., a London based electronica/hip hopish person is getting a ton of play on the indie internet and satellite stations I listen to. M.I.A. is a girl, and an attractive one that that. Her given name is Maya somethingorother and she's based in London but is of Sri Lankan descent. Her family fled the very poor country because of the Tamil rebellion, so her back story is really interesting. And she has been hyped big time in the British indie press and even had a long feature on her done on NPR earlier this year. But her music, to be frank, is grating and annoying. She chants rather than sings in this sort of Jamaican dancehall pattern, but in a weird 15-year-old girl voice (I think she's in her 20s). There's little emotion or even posturing in this music. And her backing tracks are the standard and uninteresting booms and bumps you'd hear in standard issue third-world pop music. I seem to be the only one who doesn't get her allure because her songs are getting increasing play and recognition. I wish M.I.A. well though. I think Bjork is annoying as hell too, but she's done well for herself without my support.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home