Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Brain Burn

There's some long lasting damage that can come from listening to mix tapes over and over again, especially the unstable ones I made myself in college. I'd throw all kinds of crap together with no flow whatsoever. All that mattered was that I liked the song. I was definitely not an artiste of this medium, like Rob, the fictional main character in Nick Hornby's great book High Fidelity, or the very real Rob Minter, who handed more than my share of great mix tapes.

Here's a real good example of what I'm talking about: Every time I hear the very hard rocking "Birth, School, Work, Death" by The Godfathers, my brain is automatically conditioned to want to hear Bryan Ferry's very smooth, cool, and utterly non-rocking "Bette noir" next. Thanks for that psychological damage, dumb homemade 1989 mix tape.

3 Comments:

Blogger Gye Greene said...

Actually listened to that Godfather's album, and tried really hard to like it. Was that their only ''good'' song?

--GG

12:23 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

That post is funny.

6:25 AM  
Blogger Robert_M said...

Back when I would make them with records, once in a blue moon you would get a skip committed to the tape. So being a lazy eff, I would leave it, and play it over and over allowing the skip to become part of the piece.

Then when you hear a non-skip version it sounds strange.

Jammmed

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home