Thursday, December 08, 2005

Courtney Taylor-Taylor: Rock Star

I guess it's just unavoidable that some pop music I like is produced by phony bastards. Take Dandy Warhols front man Courtney Taylor-Taylor. I've been enchanted by the Dandy Warhols since their second album came out in 1997. I think they're quite talented. But, after reading this interview with Courtney Taylor-Taylor (he changed his name because some music critic pronounced his name wrong during an interview, and I guess if you repeat your very complicated name, people are bound to get it right) I want to punch him.

"I don't give a fuck about rock stars," he announces from the comfort of a Texas hotel room in an interview with Westword. "You mean like David Lee Roth or Gene Simmons? I…don't…care." He's more receptive to David Bowie, but "Bowie isn't a rock star. I don't know that he's ever rocked hard in his life. He's more of an artist, and that's what we are. I didn't grow up playing guitar and shouting, 'I want to be a rock star!' We could just as easily have become painters." He adds, "For some reason, we come across as a rock band, but we certainly feel like something else."

Yeah, Courtney, you could just have easily been a painter. You know, something cool, like a rock star. Ooops, you already are one.

Nobody ever called Pablo Picasso an asshole. But I'll call Courtney that.

2 Comments:

Blogger whitneydonkey said...

me too, he can get over himself.

4:12 PM  
Blogger john clarke said...

I have seen Dig. That movie is also a source of my dislike of Courtney Taylor-Taylor-Taylor.

7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home