Friday, June 09, 2006

Patience. Tested.


For a number of reasons, it should a felony offense to hold a wedding in June in Texas. It's usually hitting 100 degrees by week one of June so nobody gets excited about putting on a tie and pantyhose to see you get hitched.

I just went to a wedding in Dallas where the couple had not only set the wedding date in June, they made the really unfortunate choice of June 8 at 7 p.m. as their appointed time --- the same date as Game 1 of the NBA finals. This very nice couple certainly didn't have any idea the Dallas Mavericks were going to be a part of this historic series when they set the date. Alas, I'm at the wedding looking at my watch the whole ceremony, praying that we can get to the reception started before tipoff at 8 p.m. I'm also saying a couple of hail Marys that the reception --- which is at a high-toned wine bar --- has a television. We roll up right to the reception at 7:50 p.m. and get some wine. During the small talk with the Good Karen's friends I scan the place for a T.V. None are seen. I walk into the different rooms. No luck. I suck it up, continue the small talk and get another glass of red to dull the pain and frustration.

Finally, after a plate of wedding food is consumed and just before the cake is cut, the Good Karen asks if I've heard what the score is. I tell her it's probably about halftime and I bet it's tied (close, Mavs were up by 2 at the half). If we head home now, we can catch the second half. The very cool Good Karen agrees, we hit the road and john_clarke sees the second half victory by the Mavs with a very pleasant wine buzz in the comfort of his own home. I think this was my reward for not blowing a gasket during the reception.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home