Monday, May 23, 2005

Overload

I was reminded why I'm not a regular Sam's Wholesale Club shopper this weekend. I recently renewed my membership there because I bought a load of contacts. The last time I bought contacts at Sam's --- for an astounding $13 a box --- the supply lasted me nearly three years. And the more contacts you have, the less often you have to get a yearly $95 eye exam to get more contacts, hence the reason why I load up. So I gladly renewed the membership to buy the contacts. Then I thought "Hey, why don't I do some grocery shopping here?" I'll tell you why. To do grocery shopping at Sam's you have to 1. Own a house with incredible storage capacity or 2. Not give a shit about having stuff stashed in plain sight all over your house. I don't qualify on either count. All I could bring myself to buy was toilet paper and paper towels --- both packages were so big I had to haul them home in the bed of my pickup. I barely got both of those items stored --- I had to use multiple cabinets. The upside is I won't need to buy toilet paper or paper towels for the next year. And I was tempted to buy at least one food item. But I couldn't bring myself to buy 6 pounds of frozen chicken --- I'd eat it all, but there'd be room for nothing else in my freezer. The same went for 3 pounds of coffee. I'd drink all of that coffee, but I guarantee that a pound and a half through the coffee, I'd get tired of Millstone French Roast and want to switch to something else. So yeah, I'm a cheap bastard all day long, but not if it means filling my house full of crap.

1 Comments:

Blogger Robert_M said...

Good call, I used to waste a lot of cash at Sam's buying giant packages of Pop tarts

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home