Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Ghetto Style

While rolling through an East Dallas neighborhood yesterday, my eyes were drawn to a sky blue, velour, grease-stained recliner that someone had placed in their front yard. It's not that uncommon to spot living room furniture on peoples front yards in my part of the world. In fact, if it weren't for living room furniture, the good people of East Dallas wouldn't have anywhere to sit while enjoying their front yards. But this recliner was different. It actually had a "For Sale" sign taped to it. Certainly this sign would catch the attention of wandering shoppers with a need for a grease-stained overstuffed chair. "Marge, remember that chair I set on fire when I fell asleep while watching Springer with a lit Marlborough in my hand? Well there's its replacement!"

Actually, real estate agents are trying to give East Dallas a new name. They're now referring to it as "The Upper East Side." Karen and my neighbors Rick & Mike have embraced this moniker. I have not. It's pretentious. And kind of stupid. Like somebody's more likely to buy a house here if they think they're going to get a little slice of Manhattan. What they're really going to get is a house with a neighbor who sells living room furniture on his front yard. And I like that. It keeps property taxes low. And that's why I'll never call the place where I live anything other than East Dallas.

4 Comments:

Blogger Robert_M said...

I remember on 41rst street we stuck a couch on the porch for a while. Couldn't understnad why the neighbors didn't like that.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Will Elmore said...

Council when I move in October I will give you my Goodwill flower patterned couch since I will be buying all new shit. I imagine that Rick and Mike would love it if you and Karen placed these beautiful piece in your front yard so you can sit in the yard, sipping on 40s and watching three traffic fly by.

9:01 AM  
Blogger john clarke said...

Yes! I only regret that you and McCarley left the appropriately named "ass couch" behind when you moved to Denver. Leaving that couch out in my front yard would actually do it some good, smell wise.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

One street over from us, there is a house with a toilet in the front yard. Someone has arranged some large branches in the tank as if it was a planter. Martha would be proud. I took a picture and will post it when I get home.

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home