Monday, July 25, 2005

Half Assed Home Repair

Last week, I noticed that the outside sill at the bottom of one of my windows had disintegrated.
For those who are not familiar with the laws of physics and wood, if wood is exposed to moisture for a prolonged period of time it rots. And unfortunately, I'm between carpenters right now so I decided to replace the wood myself. I saw immediately why the wood disintegrated. It lays at and angle where it traps water.

So I decide to take the wood off. But I did't have a pry bar to get it out with. OK. Since I have to go to Home Depot anyway for the tool, I measure the wood I think I need. I get the wood, the pry bar and some caulk for good measure. Then I pry the wood out. What I take out is a 2 x 6 board. What I've bought is a 2 x 3 board. Damn. So it's back to Home Depot. Then I put the board in with an angle trim piece of wood on top that will make the rain water run off. But then I notice that I've bought the wrong kind of caulk. So that is call for a third trip to Home Depot. This is not the the first time I've been in a Home Depot three times in one day. I think my record is actually five trips in one day. I'm sure the people that work at Home Depot are used to seeing repeat idiots come to their place of business.

Then I caulk the hell out of the cracks around the board and the bricks. I use two tubes of caulk to seal up one board. Try to get in now water, you bastard.

I still have to paint my repairs. Then the window will be good for maybe five more years at which time I'll probably have to repeat what I did. It's an adequate but somewhat half assed repair because all I did was make an incorrect repair that someone had done before, except I used more caulk. But in 2010, I bet it will only take one trip to Home Depot to accomplish this task.

2 Comments:

Blogger whitneydonkey said...

bob's mom used 5 deals of caulk at our house the other day.
now we are windtight, ant-less, and pretty.
caulk around your crown molding before you paint, it looks really nice!
HOME REPAIR IS PRETTY FUN

4:35 AM  
Blogger john clarke said...

I enjoy home repair. I always fear that my home repair attempts are going to make things worse. Usually it all works out for me though.

7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home