Friday, July 15, 2005

Rated R

I'm desperate to see a movie. Anything. I haven't been to a theater since "Crash" came out about two months ago. It's no surprise because I have no interest in sequels and redos of old TV shows.

And it shouldn't be that way.

I'm probably going to see The Wedding Crashers this weekend, even though it's getting just O.K. reviews. You know why I'm going? Because it's an actual "Rated R" comedy. Remember those? They're the movies that people tend to see over and over again because they're funny, take chances and contain phrases that enter the popular lexicon. And Hollywood used to do this movie better than anyone. "Stripes" "Fletch" and "Caddyshack" are great examples. The last movie I remember seeing like that was "Old School." I saw it in the theater and I own it on DVD, so the studio collected money from me twice. The only reason I can think of why there are so few of these movies out is because Hollywood has become way too family friendly. There's money to be made in that genre and lots of people have kids. But I, and a lot of people, are not in that demographic. Even people with kids want the option of seeing a movie that their kids shouldn't see.

I want to laugh at jokes that contain the F-bomb. I want to see guys acting like jackasses on screen. I want to see the occasional boob pop out. And I'm willing to pay for the experience. Please, Hollywood, save me from the next "Bewitched."

1 Comments:

Blogger Robert_M said...

I've been on a real 70's cinema kick lately, and most of the films I've been watching were R. It sure seems like the percentage was a lot higher.

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home