Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Driving While Blind

I went home at lunch and noticed that George, my 85-year-old neighbor, was sitting in his car which he'd pulled to the front of the driveway. This concerns me, especially after George cost me $150 when he backed his other vehicle, a van, into my fence. George has readily admitted to me that he has no business driving because he can't see things that are straight ahead of him because of degenerative vision loss. I don't think George is crazy enough to pull out into traffic. My guess is George wants to be helpful by pulling the car up so his son, who I think lives with him, can drive George on his appointed rounds.

Or maybe George has nothing else better to do all day than pull his car up to the driveway and remember the days when he could see well enough to barrel his Chysler down Gaston Avenue.

But is it my place to ask George what he's doing? It certainly will be if he knocks the fence down again. But maybe George gets hurt on a future busting adventure. So do I take action now?

4 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

Maybe you could ask him if he needs a lift somewhere?

11:33 AM  
Blogger Robert_M said...

Yeah that can be tricky, I might strike up a conversation with him and try to feel him out. The risk would be offending him, or winding up as his driver.

This is why I don't befriend anyone.

11:35 AM  
Blogger john clarke said...

Yeah. I think I'm going to go with the casual "Uh, George. Can I help you out?"

12:21 PM  
Blogger Will Elmore said...

I think you should dare him to drive you to work.

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home