Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Your Favorite Band?


I'm always stumped when someone asks me who may favorite band is. If I say "It's hard to choose" my questioner thinks I must not know much about music. And if I give an honest answer, I get further blank stares because the band I name is best known for an early 80's synth song that sounds like Duran Duran (a band I'll admit that I love.) Nobody understands why I think so highly of this band because they're mostly known for some minor hits. And few people have ever heard their last three albums which contain some of the most stunning songs ever recorded.

So ladies and gentlemen, my favorite band of all times is Talk Talk. I love them. I love their weak songs. I love their unstable synth pop song that's title is same as the bands' name. And I love the dreamy, quiet, atmospheric and "New Grass" which is on their incredibly complex and beautiful last album Laughing Stock in 1991. I never, ever get tired of them. And I think I'd pee in my pants if they ever got back together and recorded.

3 Comments:

Blogger Robert_M said...

Man I hate that question so much, I usually just say 'the priest' to get them to leave me alone.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Gye Greene said...

Devo. But several others (incl. Sisters of Mercy) are in my top-20.

Good tip; I'll have to check out Talk Talk. People say similar things about Men Without Hats -- but "Pop Goes the World" is a TOP album! :)

If you have a soft spot for '80s synth-ish music, try the "band" (just one guy, a la Nine Inch Nails) Laptop -- http://www.laptopband.com/


--GG

12:36 AM  
Blogger whitneydonkey said...

my fav. band of all time is
Crowded House. Its embarrassing, but i love the Woodface album. Love it! loved them in concert at tommy's and loved their concert on Bravo. there, i said it.

also, i love Arcadia, Album: So Red the Rose. it is duranduran people.

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home